Tuesday 23 March 2021

Hearing loss

 I struggle with hearing loss, which could be linked to life working in places which were noisy and there was no protective equipment in the early days.

These days I struggle to hear the television, and work out what is being said clearly unless the sound is turned right up. 

Ontop of this I have tinnitus which drives me mad at times, because it can be high pitched whistles, or sounds like bells ringing and other times it sounds like a loud humming noise as if I was next to a big motor. 

This usually gets worse when I remove my hearing aids, at bedtime etc, but it can also be picked up during the day while I am wearing my hearing aids, and this is distracting.

In busy rooms it becomes difficult to work out what someone is saying, even if they are right in front of me, because I pick up a lot of background noise. 

This is one thing which annoyed me about the  television at times, because they sometimes play a lot of music, which can be louder than the people talking. 

Another problem these days is the hazard of electric scooters and pushbikes riding on footpaths, because we don’t hear them until they are right on top of us. Many simply won’t have a bell because it’s not manly to have a bell on your bike. But these people simply don’t care about anyone but them selves. 

Electric cars are also a hazard because there is no noise to puck up on.

To many like myself even a simple footpath is an accident waiting to happen when it comes to all of these things. When I was working it was illegal to cycle on a footpath, but now it’s the done thing. 

Like many people I would love to get rid of background noise, but I do wonder what this would do as far as electric vehicles etc would do, would it be more hazardous, or would my hearing pick up these noises a lot better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

Trying to make the best out of life

Trying to get the best out of living with Lewy Body Dementia/ Parkinsons, along with comorbidities which make life so much harder, is becomi...