Monday 27 July 2015

RIP RICHARD TAYLOR PHD

RIP RICHARD TAYLOR PHD


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The members of Dementia Alliance International (DAI) are deeply saddened by the death of Dr Richard Taylor, who passed away at his home on July 25th, due to cancer.
Richard always began his videos and presentations with: “Hello. My name is Richard, and I have dementia, probably of the Alzheimer’s type.” Hello is such a simple word, but it in some ways it epitomised Richard, as his focus was on our continued humanity, and not on our deficits; everyone deserves a hello.
Richard was inspirational, and his influence on not only his family and close friends, but also on a vast number of people living with a  diagnosis of dementia of this or that type, and those that care for us, paid and unpaid, around the world, was truly significant.
He was a founding member of DAI, and had the dream for this group for longer than anyone else that I know of. Together, with him, DAI was created; an advocacy and support group, of, by and for, people with dementia.
As current chair, and also a co-founder, I can only hope we will continue to honour him appropriately through this group. It is a terrible loss, for each and everyone of us as individuals,  but also for the world.
Our deepest sympathy to his family and close friends is expressed here, and we hope they know how much he was loved and will continue to positively influence the dementia community.
 Editor: Kate Swaffer


Personal Note

I felt sad to hear about Richards Death, as he meant so much to me as he did to others. I first met Richard, in Singapore, when I was at the Alzheimer's Disease international conference, with the Alzheimer's Society.
He was a true hero to many as he had shown what could be done after the diagnosis, but he was also a genuinely friendly man, who was down to earth and very modest.
I have read his books, and they helped my to understand my problems, and no doubt his books inspired others, to stand up and follow him.
He will be missed by thousands of people who had the pleasure to meet him and his wife.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...