Friday 26 April 2013

Assistive Technology


I was once told that it was very wrong and against the civil liberties of people with dementia to use assistive technology, and that was when I was trialing a Buddy System devise, which made me feel safe when I was out walking on my own, something I enjoy.

My answer to this was this, as far as I was concerned my civil liberties went out of the window when
I got the diagnosis of early onset Lewy Body Dementia, so anything which helps me remain free to do my own thing for a little bit longer, without my dear wife tagging on, is a very good idea.

Yet why is it so wrong for us to use it when everyone else does these days.

Some of us use assistive technology to allow us to carry on with life after a diagnosis of a neurological illness like dementia, and it allows us to have that bit of extra freedom for a bit longer.

But I often wonder how the modern society would managed without it if everything went down one week or just a weekend, no mobile phones or Internet..

Everywhere you go someone has a mobile phone clamped firmly to their ear, and in some cases I have been on a train and seen people with two or three mobile phones each?

Sometimes these days people cannot switch them off when doing things like, buying a bus ticket or train ticket, so they are having a three way conversation.

I was always brought up to switch the radio or television off if someone rang us up at home, but these days people don't care, it seems that there is no respect for others anymore.

I know it is important to get on in business these days but I do wonder how much damage it does to the brain and the eyes.

My eyes sometimes struggle  I am using the computer, so I have to be selective when I use it, but I have noticed that my ear sometimes gets very warm when using my smart phone, and this makes me wonder what is going on, as I don't hold tight to my ear.

 Has technology gone too far these days when we cannot go anywhere without it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...