Tuesday 25 April 2017

Good day at Northumbria University


I had another extremely good day at Northumbria University talking to Graduate nurses, although it got off to a sticky start, due to the fact that i was struggling to  see my notes at times. 
So this afternoon I reprinted them in larger lettering 

I spent my time here  talking about living well with Lewy Body Dementia

This is a University where they are aiming to become one of, if not the best Dementia Friendly Nurse Training establishments in the UK.

They have very high standards of dementia training, and it's this that makes me very proud of being involved with them.

 have been there to speak to Nurses on many occasions, and sometimes this has been done in the nurses own free time which to my proves a big point, and that is they really do want to learn more about the illness first hand.

By doing this I am hoping that all future Nurses, learn how to treat people with dementia, with the care, respect and dignity that they themselves would expect from others.

I know that it is tiring doing this at times, but if this works, then I feel I am doing something to be help those who with this illness in the future.


It also gives me a real buzz when the nurses come here to my blog, and leave comments, about how they enjoyed listening to the person with dementia speaking.


Yes I may get tired at times, but I feel a real sense of achievement and this gives me a good reason to carry on fighting this illness. I am also so very proud to help Northumbria University and the student Nurses while I am still able to do it 

As a person with early onset Lewy Body Dementia I have been very proud and privileged, to have worked with the Staff at the University, where over the last  few years  I have  given various talks to students who are taking a degree in Nursing.



It has been a privilege to explain the problems I struggle with on a daily basis, in the hope that the Nursing staff of the future are better equipped to help and support others who have dementia, when they need to go into hospital for treatment.  

The students have always been good enough to send us personal remarks, after each talk and that does make it feel as if it has all been that bit more worthwhile because, it also proves that they too get something out of the talks.

I can honestly say that the lecturers have been so supportive and kind, especially by giving me enough time to consider the subject for my talks well in advance, so that I can spend time writing it all out before the event.

This must be one of the first dementia friendly Universities in the country, and they should be very proud of themselves for what they achieved in the period.




Well done to all of the staff who do, so much to help train high quality nursing staff for the future






No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...