Monday 20 February 2017

Technology


While I was working, I had two computers on my desk.

One for general work, like estimates, health and safety, reports and electrical testing etc.

The other computer controlled every boiler room and ventialtion systems in the college, and if there was a fault, I could sort it out without leaving my chair.

These days I have lost a lot of this information,  and I am just hanging onto using a tablet computer for basic things.

But I think that it's all down to understand and processing the information, which is in front of me.

I struggle at times listening to what is being said, and hope that I have understood it properly,  before I answer .

I was horrified when  I started writing a blog, because I did not recognise certain obvious things, and even these days it's a struggle. I have noticed that when Google change things on the blog, I get confused and uncertain about what I need to do.

But it's all down to a lack of basic information processing, and it's becoming harder by the day.
It's also very  frustrating after being an engineer for 28 years

My brain does not process information the way it used to do it, and there days it has become a nightmare at times.

However these days we hear that everything should be done via a computer and the internet, and it's becoming alarming when I see so many things turning this way

It's all well and good if you were brought up with this technology and understand it

But  many people simply don't understand technology, and many find it overpowering or intimidating
I find things so much easier to cope with, when I am discussing  something face to face with a real person, rather than relying on the computer, or listening to ore recorded messages on the telephone

But it's not just transactions from  a bank or local council, it's everywhere we look.

After a diagnosis we are told about support lines, or support centres, where we can call and get support, but many people like myself, would prefer to be sat down, talking face to face with a person we can see.

Websites are becoming so complex these days, and it takes me a while to find out the correct section, I  need to look at.

It seems that many websites also change things round on a regular basis, just like supermarkets, which is fine to a certain extent, but when you have problems processing information as I do, it all becomes a nightmare.

While I can understand a website being changed to make it easier for customers to use I certainly don't think they are in anyway dementia friendly.

I do think that a lot if websites would benefit, if the companies involved  asked people for their  views rather than assuming that all is fine

They may well be fine for business people, but that's about it.

However more and more railway stations are converting to automatic ticket machines, rather than having people in kiosks selling you the tickets, and this is becoming a step too far for me.

Machines like computers don't understand that the person standing there has information processing problems, and some of these things cut you off, if you take too long.

As well as that, people standing waiting to use the machines usually get agitated and annoyed because you are causing a hold up,

Technology goes in other directions too these days, as many people expect us to have smart phones, so that we can get emails, and online tickets for trains etc.

But we must remember that there are thousands of people in this country who are unable to use technology for one reason or another, so we must never leave them behind.

Yes there are millions in the country who use a phone every moment of the day, and never go anywhere without one clamped to their ears, but other people don't understand or want to go there

So please don't expect everyone to enjoy able to use technology, because it cannot ever work.
I wonder if we are losing too much control these days, and machines are taking over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...