Tuesday 4 December 2012

Humour and Dementia


 
I have always had a wicked sense of humour something my daughter has inherited and it has got me into trouble on many occasions.

I have always tried to laugh at myself in the hope that it will make life easier with this illness.

But recently my problems are caused by either misunderstandings on my part because my brain has perhaps picked up something the wrong way, or because other people think I am being disrespected to those with the illness.

I have done quite a lot of speaking about dementia at conferences around the United Kingdom, and on one day, I got confused. But rather than panic I just laugh and said its all down to dementia.

I thought no more about it until I went to the toilet. and on the way out I was accosted by a lady who accused me of being rude to those with the illness, She got so verbal that I was worried and refused to go to the toilet unless my wife went with me and stood outside the door.

This lady would not accept that I had Lewy Body Dementia and thought I was a care giver.

This gave me quite a shock and I confess that I did not want to speak at events again for some time.

But on other occasions it is quite easy for us to misunderstand what is being said, and think it is funny when it is not.

I don't understand why it happens, but I get distressed when it is pointed out by my wife.

Obviously my brain is not working as fast as it used to do, and sometimes it seems to twist things round.

However I have recently bought a book written by the Scottish Living with Dementia Working Group, called, Why am I laughing.

Many of these people are dear friends and by reading it I was able to work out who wrote each joke without looking.

I found that many others have the same sense of humour and it helped me to get over my fear.
 
However I have some wonderful friends in the Scottish Dementia Working Group, who wrote a book of jokes and got it Published, "Why am I Laughing".
I lost this signed copy when we were flooded in June, so today I ordered an new copy as I enjoyed reading it so much.
This book was written by some of the Working Group, and it was brilliant because I knew them all so well, that I could tell whose joke it was without looking at the name.
These people made me realise that I had to retain my sense of humour or go under. Life is hard enough without the PC brigade telling us what we should and should not be doing.
So now I know that I am not alone in making mistakes and laughing at them, because that is the only way that I can cope at times, and if I am unable to laugh at myself then its not worth trying to enjoy life.
Laugh at your mistakes if you can, because it helps remove the pressure and stress of losing control over your life.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...