Wednesday 14 November 2012

Art work and dementia


 

Artwork is supposed to be very therapeutic for people with dementia, and I once went to a local branch where a local professional artist had three very large pictures on the wall, and left them for all of the clients to look at.

As they were all modern art and something many find difficult to work out, it took some time before people started to speak about what they could see in the pictures.

I confess that I was not impressed at first, then realised that these people could all see different things, from the same picture and after a while I started to see things which were not easy to see in the first place. I ended up enjoying the experience , although I am not a fan of modern art work.

Although many people who have dementia love to paint and draw, there are times when it becomes difficult to get the picture right, especially if it is down to look like a scene outside. I often give up in total frustration because it never looks the same but I guess this is all down to the spacial awareness side of things, where everything looks so very different in our eyes from day to day.

I used to love drawing when I was younger, and I think looking back this makes life so much harder as all this has gone.

It is difficult to get distances right and sometimes angles, yet as an engineer I would sketch or draw out things that were needed and then go back to the office knowing full well that I had an accurate drawing of what was needed, but now that the brain has changed all of this is all but in the past.

Artwork can be relaxing when it works well, however I often look at something and see something which is not really there at all.

I sometimes find pastels easier to use although I would love to do water colours, as it looks nicer.

1 comment:

  1. Ideally looking for non-mini van, 7 seater production vehicles.
    We are looking to replace our Ford Freestyle. Dana - thanks for the links.

    We've been checking out the Highlander and the Tahoe (both Hybrid models). GM seems to be turning the corner by offering more but they are SLOW.. Headtate - I agree they are pricey. The we have 5 people in the family and a dog. ANy road trips to the grandparents involves hauling luggage and everyone. The hybrids seem to be the way to go..
    Look into my webpage ; Susan Antwone

    ReplyDelete

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...