Thursday 8 November 2012

Can Social Media help people with dementia

I am wondering whether it is beneficial for people with dementia to use social media, and I think it does by the number of individuals with this illness using blogs and social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook.

A few years ago I was told by my consultant to write ,my life story as a way of keeping my brain active. I then noticed and got involved with social media websites as a way of finding out more about my illness, Early Onset Lewy Body Dementia.

Since then I have found many new friends who were doing the same thing, and we all share the information, on a regular basis.

However this can cover a very large area and many websites, chat rooms and blogs.

Blogging allows you to write down items about you and your illness, without expecting anyone to answer.

Facebook is somewhere where we find teenagers etc, who are very interested in learning more about Grandfathers or Grandmothers illness, without being told by parents that its none of your business, or you simply don't understand.

Twitter seems to a be far reaching web news website, where any news gets maximum coverage at the click of a button.

While not everyone can benefit from social media as they simply were not diagnosed early enough, it is beneficial to many others. I was told to keep my brain active in the hope that it would not slow down, and although this is good advice it does not always work, as we all have good days and bad days, so its a case of doing what you can while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...